Polished concrete flooring might be really ‘on trend’ for 2017, but is it a viable and affordable solution for your retail, commercial or industrial space? There’s no doubt that polished concrete can look fantastic in customer-facing areas, so much so that a growing number of people are even choosing to install polished concrete flooring in their homes, but does it offer the practicality and durability commercial customers need? And importantly, how much does polished concrete flooring cost?
What is polished concrete flooring?
There are two distinct types of ‘polished concrete’:
- Concrete polishing, using a new or existing concrete floor slab to create an aesthetic floor finish by refining the surface using our HTC Superfloor grinding and polishing process. This delivers exceptional strength and durability, using the installed concrete floor slab as the starting point for the final finish. This offers impressive value for money over the longer term, but you have little control of the final appearance of the casting including aggregate exposure and distribution after grinding. In reality only the degree of initial grinding and level of final gloss can be specified.
- Polished screeds and polished concrete effect floors are synthetic screed systems that can used as toppings on a wide range of surfaces. As these are pre-blended systems, they are designed to deliver exceptional strength and durability, while providing a seamless finish and a contemporary, industrial concreted look. Our Corestone system can achieve the concrete effect in as little thickness as 3mm whilst providing exceptional long term wear resistance. Corestone also has the advantage of being factory tinted, so you can choose from a range of Uni and Duo colours from the start of your design process. This also gives designers and end users the ability to match their floor design across property portfolios to maintain brand identity.
The properties of polished concrete effect flooring
Polished concrete effect flooring has a long list of properties that make it well suited to a wide range of commercial applications, from restaurants and cafés to retail environments, museums and industrial spaces. That includes:
- Abrasion resistance
- Wear resistance
- Damage resistance
- Moisture tolerance
- Easy to maintain and clean
- Seamless surface for excellent hygiene
- Stain resistant and waterproof without the needs for waxes
How much does polished concrete effect flooring cost?
That depends on a number of factors:
- The size of the floor area
Typically, the cost of polished concrete effect flooring will be around £60-£200 per sq/metre. However, as with any kind of design process, the bigger the area to be fitted, the lower the cost per sq/metre. A large proportion of the cost is fixed, which is why the cost per sq/metre is greater for smaller surface areas. Typically, the Corestone system is installed over 4 processes on site so larger projects do have economies of scale.
- The finish
We offer a range of polished concrete flooring finishes to suit our clients’ specific applications and the look they want to achieve. From grinding and polishing new and existing concrete floor slabs to installing concrete effect designer micro toppings such as our Corestone system, you can be sure that we have a solution to fit your project .
Could polished concrete flooring be the perfect solution for your commercial or industrial space? Request a free, no obligation quote by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org or give our friendly sales and technical team a call on 0800 6126 500 to discuss your project today.